Sunday, January 13, 2013

Paul Georges and Bridgehampton






I recently saw these at the new Parrish Art Museum, Southampton NY.



                           




After loving these paintings for much of my life they seemed, diminished in the sleek new Museum.
I was surprised at how he seemed, I say seemed, an amateur local, especially in the face of the new scale of contemporary figuration.

I think I thought somewhat the same when I first saw them in 1972. I thought Paul much stronger.

Years later,  I saw this quiet reserve as a poetic virtue and still somewhat the point.
I wonder if this means the new scale and Museum ruins this poetic?

I don't mean this as an authoritative degree, I am just questioning?

Actually I think they look good on the page here again.

Paul was so much part of this reality of the Hamptons, it is hard to see him omitted. It was such an exciting time.





Above a small Katz, below Fairfield Porter and on right Jane Freilicher









I coincidently saw this today at the National Academy, Jan 2013, by Jane Freilecher and Louisa Matthiasdottir from the earlier 70's that same time. There seems to be interest again in this 70's group of paintiers from direct observation.













No comments:

Post a Comment